I’ve been SHENKED! What is shenked, you ask? It’s when a blogger friend named Nate from Shenk It Up
As I said when I was bestowed the Versatile Blogging Award, I stalk a lot of blogs but don’t leave as many comments as I could. For that reason, I don’t have eleven bloggers to whom I can shenk, or that really know me, plus there are just some Bloggers who
Let’s begin with eleven things about me. This is always difficult for me because I don’t want to divulge TOO much and scare away the few followers that I do have!
1. I’m a blonde, however, when I was younger, I was more of a strawberry blonde. Now, I have NO friggin clue what my REAL hair color is, as I bleach it, but my roots are a dishwater blonde color. I don’t know if I have any gray mixed in there, because I don’t want to find out, hence, I color my roots every four weeks. Besides, I LIKE being VERY blonde.
2. I’d like a new car. There isn’t anything wrong with my current vehicle (2002 Jeep Liberty with 70K miles). Actually I like my Jeep a lot, but I’ve had it for quite some time now. You see, I used to get a NEW car every six months. And here’s the kicker—it was FREE! THAT was truly one of the BEST perks I had when I was in the auto industry!
Anyway, the plan (which is bound to change as this is LIFE) is to buy my older son a new car and in about a year or two, when my youngest son begins driving, pass my Jeep onto him, then buy MYSELF a NEW one.
I’m partial to the Bentley Continental, but I don’t want my neighbors digging up my back yard looking for mason jars filled with money, so I’ll settle for a Mazda CX7.
3. This year I have a LONG honey-do list for my husband (he’s just thrilled). The FIRST thing I want is a wall built between my kitchen and living room (actually I’ve wanted this for a while now). The living room isn’t the living room anymore. I turned it into a den/sitting room, however, I have limited wall space and want to move my desk to the other side of the room but need a WALL in order for the desk to fit properly. Once that’s done, I can purchase the small sofa I want to compliment my two chairs—for the sitting room portion.
This isn’t a hard job, just time-consuming. With my husband working ALL week and me making lists, he either has to take vacation time to complete my lists or do them on the weekends.
4. I have two toothbrushes. One is just a regular, soft toothbrush and the other is a battery operated Spin-Brush. I switch back and forth, depending on my mood. Why I do this, I don’t know. Let’s just say I’m weird and leave it at that.
5. Talking about weird teeth stuff. I use three different toothpastes. I have Sensodyne, because my back molars are VERY sensitive to cold beverages and brushing. I also use Colgate when I just want to freshen my teeth (and mouth in general). And I use Rembrandt to TRY and keep my teeth white. Coffee is hell on teeth color (so is smoking but we won’t go there).
My hair is all one length now and it’s finally resting on my shoulders, but I would really like it a few inches longer so I can get that 60’s flip— then ya'all can call me THAT girl! It would be SO simple and leave me more time for things I’d much rather be doing (like telling you MORE
By this summer, it should be the length I want and that will not only make me one happy camper, it will make vacation time SO much easier because my family won’t have to wait around while I dry, whirl and twirl.
7. I don’t have a smart phone. I don’t want a smart phone. I do NOT understand the obsession with i-phones. There is NO way I want to be hooked up to anything 24/7 (unless maybe an IV of coffee) while walking, shopping, working, driving or bitching about people who tick me off.
It’s convenient, I get it. I don’t get that some people think it’s so great that they can ask Siri a question and she’ll answer all for the price of five or more HUNDRED dollars. If I’m ever desperate enough to stand in line for three hours for a phone that costs five hundred dollars or more—get the strait jacket NOW.
Besides, talking to myself is WAY cheaper and so much more entertaining!
8. My favorite clothing catalog is Boston Proper. I find the nicest clothes in this catalog. It also helps that some of their inseams are 36 inches and it’s a bonus when they come in a size two. I have a hell of a time buying pants off the rack in any store, therefore have to on-line or catalog shop—IF they accommodate tall thin people. Shorter people have it so much easier because all they have to do is hem. TALL people can’t ADD length.
9. My favorite color is black. Although I really like white too. And I wear quite a bit of gray. Crazy that—black and white mixed together equals gray! I have a lot of clothes in an array of colors (all complimentary to my ghost white complexion) but there is just something so EASY about black, white and gray, love.them.
10. My favorite flower is the White Magnolia. There is something so pure about it. I would love to have a Magnolia tree but don’t think it would do well in Pittsburgh’s winter. I guess I should research that.
11. I love blogging. Yes, I do it because I LOVE to write, but I also do it because I get to meet great people and find out about THEM!
Some of my favorites are (not in any particular order):
1. Jo writes great posts at The Bright Yellow Balloon. She’ll make you laugh AND contemplate things like life or why on earth two people would coo for almost five minutes TO a Hedgehog in a bathtub.
2. Bubbee writes heartfelt thought-provoking posts at Blather by Bubbe.
3. Grammy is one funny gal, who really IS a grandmother, and you can find her amusing antidotes for life at Gram Cracker Blog.
4. Michael is the author of Michael’s Fish Bowl and he opines on a variety of topics. I’m always pleasantly surprised when I visit his blog.
5. Ron is my good friend who writes great posts over at Vent and yes, he does vent sometimes, but he does some of them via video!
7. Ron also posts fantastic photos at Caught My Eye.
8. He even does product reviews at Moi Review Blog. What a versatile Blogger HE is! (Ron I tried applying my lipstick BEFORE lining and it looks GREAT!)
10. Marueen at Day by Day with the Addison Girl posts about her struggles with chronic dis-orders.
11. Maueen is a versatile blogger as well and posts on other miscellaneous things over at Mo is Blogging I Think.
12. Leslie at Parsley’s Pics is a woman I met years ago when I first began blogging politically and we became friends! She does write political posts, but she’s also informed on a range of issues and researches before hitting that publish button.
13. Gia at Mayor Gia is not only a writer but an artist! Her blog posts have pictures. It’s an adult picture book, except it’s not a book, it’s a blog.
Now Nate, who did the shenking, instructed ME to answer the eleven questions that HE composed.
1. What is your best response to people who criticize your writing? I haven’t been criticized yet (goodness, hope I didn’t just jinx myself!). However, I’m open to constructive criticism, and quite honestly, would LOVE to have someone critique some of my writing. I’m the type of person who gives the truth and expects it in return, as long as it’s done respectfully. Now, if someone gets nasty, let’s just say that delete button sure is easy to use!
2. What country (other than America) would you like to live in? There are so many beautiful places: Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Australia, New Zealand and Brazil. Would I LIKE to live in any of them? No. I do want to visit, though, and did compose a Travel Bucket List.
3. Do you think rap music should be considered music? No. I like all types of music, but rap, well, that’s just not music to me and the lyrics, which I really pay attention to in any song, are just offensive.
4. What TV show do you watch that you’re embarrassed to admit to? I’m not embarrassed to admit to anything that I watch. I don’t know, maybe I’m just too blonde to know if I SHOULD be embarrassed!
Some of my favorite weekly shows are: Castle, Revenge, Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, Once Upon a Time and Desperate Housewives. I watch re-runs of Charmed every weekday morning and re-runs of Frazier and Golden Girls at night to fall asleep (I set the timer).
I’m a big fan of Westerns and can watch Rough and Ready Month on the Hallmark channel 24/7 (If they did have it on 24/7 or if I didn’t have to chase a puppy, sleep, eat, shower, blog or spoil the hell out of my teenage sons).
5. Would you rather be trapped on an island with Oprah, or Nancy Pelosi? Oh GAWD, what a choice (Thanks Nate. From one Conservative to another, pay back is a bitch
6. Do you believe that the world will end on December 21st? If so, what do you plan to do on December 20th? No, I don’t think it will end but I do think there is some kind of change coming. Actually, it’s been in the works. I am hoping it will be enlightenment and people with wake the hell up, but I think I’m being too hopeful. I actually fear WWIII.
7. Most embarrassing moment that you’re no longer embarrassed about? I don’t embarrass easily so I really can’t remember one! I figure, I’m human, you’re human, and we all do silly stuff!
8. Do you believe that the government should legalize marijuana? (hehe you don’t have to answer, I just wanted to mix things up a bit). If you don’t want to answer that, do you believe that the legal drinking age should go back to being 18? Or 16, like it is in Germany? Actually, yes, I think marijuana should be legalized. Not that I’m a pot smoker, or a drug user, but I’m a firm believer in personal responsibility and if someone wants to smoke a joint—have at it, just DON’T subject ME to it.
Same for alcohol. I don’t like it, but I don’t want to forbid others from drinking it. Just DON’T sue the damn bartender because YOU drank too much then were stupid enough to drive. Take responsibility for YOUR actions.
As far as the drinking age. It’s so messed up. My son is nineteen and can be deployed at any time to defend our country. He’s old enough to DIE for our country but not old enough to drink a beer. Seriously?
IF we are considered ADULTS at eighteen, then we should be able to drink alcohol. IF we aren’t mature enough to drink alcohol at eighteen, then stop sending our boys to war at that age.
9. What would be the first thing you purchased after winning $300 mil in the lotto? Oh wow, this IS easy! I would purchase at least a thousand acres of land out in the middle of no-man’s land. I don’t want any more neighbors. I like my neighbors, don’t get me wrong. But I’m SICK of people who have NO consideration for others. Turn your damn music DOWN when driving through a housing plan—NO ONE wants YOUR music shaking the windows out of their frames. Also, for the sake of Pete and MY sanity, train your dog! Or at least pay attention to it! Do NOT let it bark uncontrollably EVERY single day for hours on end.
Three hundred million dollars would be so freaken awesome and deserves a post all its own! I’m going to work on that!
10. What is the first thing that comes to your mind when I say Lady Gaga? I always think Lady Gag Me. I don’t get her and quite frankly won’t waste my time trying to.
11. How many siblings do you have? Would you of liked more, or less? I have seven siblings. To make this short, because it’s already longer than Flash Fiction (except it's REAL) check out my family dynamics here.
I would NOT like more siblings –ever hear of the
Okay, here are MY eleven questions that my blogger friends can feel free to answer, or not.
1. What is your astrological sign?
2. What state do you live in? Would you rather live in a different state?
3. What is YOUR favorite automobile?
4. What would you do if your blog became VERY popular?
5. What’s the first thing you notice when you meet someone?
6. Do you think Americans are over-medicated now-a-days?
7. What was the best piece of advice you ever received?
8. What is your dream job?
9. Who is your favorite actor/actress?
10. What is your favorite movie?
11. What type of books do you like to read?
Have fun with them, or ignore them. Don’t worry, my feelings won’t get hurt if you don’t participate.
But I would like to know more about YOU! That’s part of the fun of blogging, the interaction. So let’s interact!